Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Kansas Backroads



Cruising down highway 36 through Kansas, I spotted an abandoned farm house just before sunset. I decided this would make the perfect photo op, so I veered off the highway and onto a smaller road. I went up and over some train tracks and then saw what looked like a hardened dirt road in front of me. I kept on the throttle, but as soon as I hit the "dirt" I realized that it was actually mud. I had little other choice than to stay on the gas and try to power through it, but no so such luck, I quickly lost any traction (and forward movement) the bike slid and then came to abrupt stop, bucking me off into the mud.

Well, that was dumb.

I tried to get the bike back up, but the mud made it impossible for me to gain any traction. It was absolutely futile.

Over the next 20 minutes several people stopped to help as I tried to contact AAA for roadside assistance.

Finally, a very large man (300lbs. and change) stopped, looked at my predicament and stated:

"I"ll getcher bike out da' mud"

I had my doubts, but we went over to the bike and before I could really grab hold, this guy had yanked the bike back up right. My bike weighs 600 lbs. by the way.

We then had to roll the bike backwards out of the mud and on the road, so I grabbed onto the handle bars and he pulled from the back. I thought the bike felt light and when I looked back, this guy had the rear wheel completely off the ground!

I thanked him profusely and offered him some money for his trouble, but he'd have none of it. I certainly do appreciate the midwest hospitality!

Both the bike and I were completely unscathed, just a little muddy!

5 comments:

  1. may not be pllaya dirt this year but i think you got your earth blessing xox...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anywhere near Pittsburg? I've got connections. LMK.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Tanja, but I'm already in Missouri! (know anyone in Tennessee?)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome story. I wish you had pictures of that part!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, how awesome! People are so generous and amazing. That guy has some good karma coming to him! -Julie

    ReplyDelete